COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Combine Counties Into A Singular County

If I theoretically was a countess and I conquered another county could I combine those two counties into a bigger singular county?

12/11/2019 3:57:27 PM #1

That's how it worked in Domain and Settlement Selection so no doubt acquiring a new county via marriage, conquest or else wise will result in the same.

12/11/2019 4:43:22 PM #2

I wonder at what point this stops working, if ever.

Taken to the extreme, an entire kingdom could come under the purview of a single noble "Grand Count" with direct control over all of the settlement mayors.

12/11/2019 4:50:34 PM #3

Not at all, now that DSS has ended, the way to redraw borders or combine domains is through the Sedecim. there might be some other options but none of them have been really presented or explained to us and so, the only official known way to achieve that is through the Sedecim.

The Sedecim is happening in game every 16 years

The Origin of the Sedecim

what's in store for you

12/11/2019 6:30:53 PM #4

Posted By markof at 10:50 AM - Wed Dec 11 2019

Not at all, now that DSS has ended, the way to redraw borders or combine domains is through the Sedecim. there might be some other options but none of them have been really presented or explained to us and so, the only official known way to achieve that is through the Sedecim.

The Sedecim is happening in game every 16 years

The Origin of the Sedecim

what's in store for you

Just for clarification 1 In Game Year = 1 IRL Week

so every 16 weeks. (a little less than 4 months)

12/11/2019 7:23:50 PM #5

Bearing in mind that nothing is yet final (or even well defined in a lot of cases), the TLDR answer is that redrawing boundaries to merge domains can be done, but it will be difficult (not impossible). We've been told that it will require the approval of everyone involved. So in the case of two counties, I think it would require all the mayors, the counts and the duke to agree.

I think this sort of multi level approval exists to discourage players from simply acquiring land through conquest with the usual "Might Is Right" rationale. Naked aggression like that will likely not be rewarded with the consent of your peers or those parties involved in the merger.

I think it also exists to allow in-game politicking to have significance and to safeguard the interests (or rights) of other players so we don't end up with a game where the sword is the answer to everything. In CoE, relying entirely on the sword will probably work against you.

Now if you use the Casus Belli mechanics - most notably Casus Belli by Favor (which coincidentally is the 1st one listed) - you will be much more likely to succeed in redrawing boundaries because you have already gained consent (or at least some level of legal justification) before the act of claiming any lands by force or otherwise.