COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Regarding the Settlers of Elyria Event delay

Hello Elyrians,

As you may have noticed, an issue that surfaced last night with the check out process while under load has forced us to delay the start of the Settlers of Elyria event. We are working on a solution so we can open the ability to claim settlements and domains back up and correct any issues you had.

When the issue became apparent, we shut down the ability to claim new domains to prevent it from affecting more people. We’re also looking to fix a couple of other bugs that prevented claims or impacted you on the domain map.

At this time, we don’t have an ETA for our fix to the primary issue, but we are exploring multiple solutions. As soon as we have a clear view of this issue and high confidence in a fix, we will let you know, and give you as much notice as possible.

We have no intention of rolling the prices back, and as Caspian pointed out in Discord earlier, the auction is still in effect, with prices dropping every day by 1%.

Thank you all so much for your patience and support. This has been a trying time for us, and your understanding and help have made all the difference to the folks working till the wee hours of the morning on tracking down this issue and figuring out a solution.

Update: 12/20/2019 8:04pm PT

Greetings Elyrians,

Thank you all for standing with us as we work to resolve the issues that have prevented us from restarting the event. As of now, we believe we have identified and resolved the primary issue that was preventing folks from making purchases. What remains are some stability issues caused by our flash sales, and some hardening to ensure these systems work as intended with upgrades.

We’re still incredibly excited to see how this event will shape and change the face of each server and we’re looking forward to restarting the event as soon as we possibly can. Once we are ready to kick things off, we’ll be making some updates and announcements so hopefully no one is caught unprepared. In the mean time, keep an eye on our official communication channels.

Thanks again everyone, you’re the best community out there, we really appreciate your patience and understanding.

Update: 12/21/2019 1:51pm PT

Hello Elyrians

We are very excited to say we have resolved all the major issues with the Settlers of Elyria event. While a few quality of life fixes are on the way throughout the week, we are in the final stages of testing.

Based on this, we have high confidence we’ll be able to relaunch the event this afternoon, after we have confirmed the issues have been resolved.

We plan to restart the Settlers of Elyria event this afternoon at around 3:30pm pacific time.

Let your friends and communities know!

Thank you all for your sticking with us while we sort this out.

Update 12/21/2019 late:

Caspian said:

"Hey Elyrians. Yesterday (12/21) at 3:31pm PST shortly after the re-launch of Domain Portal with the Settlers of Elyria event, the site began to perform increasingly worse. It appears that there are thousands of incoming requests being made for sale info, domain info, etc. It's unclear yet whether these are part of an intentional denial-of-service, botting, or a bug in the Settlers of Elyria client code that is causing the issue, but the constant traffic is causing the site to run at a constant 100% utilization. Regardless of the cause, tomorrow (12/22 PST) we will begin taking steps to ensure the large volume of incoming requests are not impacting peoples' ability to use the other services provided by the site. In the interim, I've taken the Domain Portal down but the site remains unusable due to the sheer volume of incoming requests for domain name info, sale info, etc. I apologize for the inconvenience . The web team will investigate further as soon as they are able. Thanks!"

Update 12/22/2019 2:10am:

Caspian said:

"After investigation, I've discovered the root cause of the performance problems we began suffering from earlier yesterday, after the latest release of the DSS portal. I will be leaving the DSS portal disabled for the time being while we roll out a new fix and we ask anyone that has the DSS portal open in any browser to close it. Thanks for your cooperation! Please note, website performance, aside from the DSS portal, has returned to normal. Thanks again!"

Update: 12/22/2019 2:30pm PST

My fellow Elyrians,

Kain here. I’ll be candid with you all: we implemented a feature poorly and it caused us a lot of head and heart ache. We have identified the what, and the why, but there is an underlying problem with our implementation that needs to be fixed. For the time being we’ve had to disable the DSS Portal entirely. It will remain offline until we can ensure it is stable, at which point we’ll bring it back up, probably tomorrow.

The Settlers of Elyria event will be postponed until we address the underlying issue that caused all of this. We will make an announcement giving you notice as to when the event will relaunch some time tomorrow, the 23rd.

I want you all to know I’ve been monitoring this all weekend and pushing as hard as I can to get this event up for you. The fact that so many of you have been so supportive and understanding means the world to the team, and to myself.

When we know for sure everything is working, we’ll update again with a new launch time and date. We want to give you all ample notice and give ourselves the time to make sure we have it right.

Thank you again folks, truly. AK

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

12/20/2019 12:16:51 PM #16

https://discord.gg/esT7wMN

12/20/2019 1:12:14 PM #17

Posted By HuldricFranconian at 11:16 PM - Fri Dec 20 2019

No doubt. I can't go 5 minutes without losing connection to the server and having it select everything all over again. Besides how dam slowly it loads. It's amazing it's running worse than when the maps opened up the first time.

12/20/2019 3:24:19 PM #18

https://discord.gg/esT7wMN

12/20/2019 7:38:22 PM #19

Thanks for the update.

In light of the recurring problems with web implementation, I would love to know if as a studio you are planning on making any changes to your team/processes/technology to try and improve. I wonder if this can be addressed in the next state of the studio report because the absence of quality is really disheartening to witness.

Hoping for better days ahead.

12/21/2019 6:52:25 AM #20

Posted By Duka at 8:04 PM - Fri Dec 20 2019

No man i did see this, But example prices cant be seen on settlement level unless your logged out, But I guess it goes under a couple of other bugs. Cheers tho

Oh, with the settlements, we can't see the prices logged in because we already own a settlement and can't select the "buy now" option, but those who haven't got land yet can see them when they select the settlement.

Personally I would like to see the price next to each town, since that would make it easier to compare, but given there have already been some bugs, I would rather not sacrifice further event time for a quality of life change.

The strength of the wolf is the Pack. Fight with honour.

12/21/2019 7:35:55 AM #21

Posted By Khalma at 01:52 AM - Sat Dec 21 2019

Posted By Duka at 8:04 PM - Fri Dec 20 2019

No man i did see this, But example prices cant be seen on settlement level unless your logged out, But I guess it goes under a couple of other bugs. Cheers tho

Oh, with the settlements, we can't see the prices logged in because we already own a settlement and can't select the "buy now" option, but those who haven't got land yet can see them when they select the settlement.

Personally I would like to see the price next to each town, since that would make it easier to compare, but given there have already been some bugs, I would rather not sacrifice further event time for a quality of life change.

Well, you know the old saying, seems like "there is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over."

Words to live by

Cheers

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

12/21/2019 9:55:45 PM #22

Updated - please see the OP for details!

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

12/21/2019 10:12:42 PM #23

Fingers crossed... you guys deserve a break...hope it all goes smoothly.

Thanks for the update here.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

12/21/2019 10:17:44 PM #24

Ghostowns of Elyria is certainly running on all cylinders.

This does not inspire confidence to potential players. Who knows how many people have already decided against buying a domain from the issues so far.

The State of Elyria has some eschplainin to do.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

12/21/2019 11:28:24 PM #25

Posted By Serpentius at

Once we are ready to kick things off, we’ll be making some updates and announcements so hopefully no one is caught unprepared.

You gave 90 minutes notice. On a weekend. Before a holiday. When it's midnight in EU.

And the forums went down about 30 minutes after your post.

Thanks.

12/22/2019 10:26:43 PM #26

Updated - please see the OP for details!

12/22/2019 11:16:03 PM #27

That sounds like a firm answer to build on. Til then

good luck

12/23/2019 12:56:19 AM #28

@AshKain

I appreciate the candor, hope you all get it worked out.

Imgur

12/23/2019 1:35:19 AM #29

My fellow Elyrians,

Kain here. I’ll be candid with you all: we implemented a feature poorly and it caused us a lot of head and heart ache.We have identified the what, and the why, but there is an underlying problem with our implementation that needs to be fixed.

When we know for sure everything is working, we’ll update again with a new launch time and date.

Thank You.

That is EXACTLY what many of in the community have been asking for in terms of transparency and accountability.

Shite gonna happen...we all know that

Just keep it real when it does.

Happy Holidays Y'all.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

12/23/2019 3:02:28 AM #30

Thank you for being candid, Kain! I hope SBS considers putting off restarting until next Monday, or even after January 1 to give the staff the time off they need and deserve.