COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA GENERAL
Angelica Map - Kingdoms, Duchies & Counties

EDITED: LINKS FIXED. I have shamefully re-prayed to the Markdown gods.

I thought I'd share this with the community, despite the fact that it will change again once Settlers of Elyria starts back up again, and routinely thereafter as land is sold up until launch. But hopefully, some people will find it helpful for either planning or content creation purposes. I'll be updating it over the course of time, as it makes sense.

alt text

What is it?

This is a full continent VECTOR map of Angelica, broken down and labeled to the county, processed and reassembled from the pieces that were extracted by Morbis, et al from the web before DSS (and posted in the forums). I've broken the artwork apart and set it up in Adobe Illustrator in an eleborately-layered file so that I can make adjustments and re-export it readily (domain combination, relabeling). I've manually booleaned the counties and duchies together that have changed since DSS, and it reflects the current content, minus a few new names approved in the last several days.

Caveat: this map is NOT parcel accurate, despite being vector-based. It's close, but when the artwork was extracted, it didn't render at quite the same quality as it appeared in the closest zoom level in the DSS portal, but ALMOST. It's not perfect, but it's good, and it's useful, and better than any other resource available in one piece, so... It's just borders -- no water features, roads or terrain (as those weren't available/extracted the same way), just political boundaries, and kingdom capitals.

What can you do with this?

The PDF can be printed out at great size or detail (laser sharp) or opened up in a program like Adobe Illustrator and edited. Although there are some limitations with how the artwork was extracted/rendered (in terms of how the shapes are actually built), I've made it so the individual counties are fillable areas. They could be re-colored on a county-by-county basis, for instance. I'll likely also post a version of the Illustrator file soon, as well, just so people can take what they want from it. The high-res PNG (8989 x 13514 pixels) linked here can likewise be embedded or edited in any image-editing application, memory allowing.

(detail level) alt text

Version date: 1/12/2020

PDF

PNG

I have an Illustrator version with the full resolution, tiled image map from DSS (27392 x 50176 pixels) registered with this vector artwork, but that's another post for another day. It's too large to do anything effective with in its current state.

Note: Ultimately, although this contains/involves a substantial amount of work on my part, and from Morbis, et al, the artwork and content is ultimately owned by SBS. It's their map, and subject to change. Please use it in accordance with the positive spirit towards the game with which it is offered.

As for edits: I'm certain I've introduced manual errors into this during the construction, so when you find them (and you will), please feel free to DM me with the obsolete and corrected names and I'll merge them in and republish it.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the cool things that people create with it! I know I'm planning numerous maps for my duchy, and on behalf of Aranor.

Enjoy!

1/11/2020 5:07:15 AM #1

This is amazing, thank you and everyone else who had a part in creating it!

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!

1/12/2020 4:19:38 AM #2

Links fixed. Sorry about that.

1/12/2020 5:50:30 AM #3

Nice product from a lot of work!

1/12/2020 6:36:53 PM #4

Awesome! Will there be ones for other servers?

1/12/2020 7:03:22 PM #5

Posted By Maulvorn at 10:36 AM - Sun Jan 12 2020

Awesome! Will there be ones for other servers?

I haven't touched any of the other servers' art, but to the extent data is updated post SoE, if this is still the only allowable way to create maps this detailed, then I'd likely do others. It's super tedious, but still manageable. And the scope of changes will diminish over time as we get down to mostly just renaming entities.

1/19/2020 4:28:05 AM #6

Thanks Zyzax, this is awesome!