COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Vaporware?

CoE ever actually going to be released? Just checking in for an update, not for the white-knight-brigade to defend the devs. Where do we stand for 2020?

1/20/2020 1:12:47 PM #1

I guess you should come back at the end of 2020. As far as I can see they are making progress but it will still take some time till you can play CoE.

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

1/20/2020 1:39:02 PM #2

Currently there isnt something playable. Will be atleast a few more months till the first playable version of the prealpha client gets released

1/20/2020 2:47:24 PM #3

Posted By Leiywen at 08:39 AM - Mon Jan 20 2020

Currently there isnt something playable. Will be atleast a few more months till the first playable version of the prealpha client gets released

I feel thats super optimistic. We know they won't be doing anything else until the Dutch auction thingy is done and there is no idea at all when that will be. It was suppose to be just before xmas but problems at launch delayed that to who knows when as there have been no updates as far as I can see. Then I hear we are suppose to be getting a "State of Elyria" sometime after that.

Judging by how the maps were delayed many months before we actually got them I suspect the Dutch auction will be too as it has already been a month. And there has been no mention at all about any sort of playable release since the maps were delayed. Also take into account they have not released one thing yet that wasn't tremendously delayed because it didn't work days before the release. And then it takes many months to fix whatever is wrong with it. Not to mention any playable release will be the most complicated release by far. I would be really surprised if we saw anything this year.

1/20/2020 3:31:30 PM #4

There's other existing and active threads on this subject.

"If we wait until we are ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives..." code: CD83B4

1/20/2020 3:40:08 PM #5

Posted By RedDoggybone at 3:47 PM - Mon Jan 20 2020

Posted By Leiywen at 08:39 AM - Mon Jan 20 2020

I feel thats super optimistic. We know they won't be doing anything else until the Dutch auction thingy is done and there is no idea at all when that will be. It was suppose to be just before xmas but problems at launch delayed that to who knows when as there have been no updates as far as I can see. Then I hear we are suppose to be getting a "State of Elyria" sometime after that.

Judging by how the maps were delayed many months before we actually got them I suspect the Dutch auction will be too as it has already been a month. And there has been no mention at all about any sort of playable release since the maps were delayed. Also take into account they have not released one thing yet that wasn't tremendously delayed because it didn't work days before the release. And then it takes many months to fix whatever is wrong with it. Not to mention any playable release will be the most complicated release by far. I would be really surprised if we saw anything this year.

I even think this year is super optimistic the track record for SbS shows they are incapable of completing one task before they rush over on the next office hype.

I been saying it for years it is only flavor text and excuses from SbS. Until they are held accountable too, the community. I think we will never see any real playable version of this game unless they have a change in management.

I believe that this is the main issue, they are not capable of assessing and planning future tasks and thus are left with all pitt falls of development.

Atleast this is my impression and opinion, how knows. But history shows evidence for this atleast.

If it were up to me i would force them to release whatever client they have. And use community feedback and testing to iterate on the game client.

It would involve the community and give SbS the peace and quiet to develop the game alongside a alpha client. Where the community have something tangible where real progress is seen in patches.

A small area where players could join would go along way. But this is starting to feel like a second IdentityRPG .

Let's hope the storm shows up in 2020 guys. Am not holding my breath tough, am not going as a smurf for Halloween 2020. :D

1/20/2020 5:14:16 PM #6

Im starting to feel that way to be honest. I dont expect a release by 21 or 22 but it would be nice to see, well, anything.

1/20/2020 6:38:00 PM #7

Thanks all.

1/20/2020 6:38:46 PM #8

Game will never see the light of day unless something changes, been here since 2016.

F0942E

1/20/2020 7:14:11 PM #9

Posted By Artax_Daane at 1:38 PM - Mon Jan 20 2020

Game will never see the light of day unless something changes, been here since 2016.

Afraid you may be right, all of us should probably double our pledges to ensure completion/ quicker results.

Evil? More like Chaotic Neutral...ish

1/20/2020 8:03:29 PM #10

To be fair, I have no idea if this is common practice or not so maybe I am being unreasonable when I say they have had so many canceled and change of directions in what they are doing since this started it makes you feel sometimes as if they are just throwing darts at the wall and hoping something sticks. I have some experience with EQ Landmark and The Shroud of the Avatar pre releases and neither one of them had so many changes of direction as this game. I mean they said this, this and this would be done at a certain time and they pretty much were accurate on the time frame and stayed true to the direction they said they were taking.

Hey, if someone who knows could chime in and tell us if this is common for a new game or not I would love to know.

1/20/2020 8:39:55 PM #11

C´mon, the devs take a few weeks of vacation during the holidays and the forum begin to look like the Darkfall forums back in 2007.

1/20/2020 9:00:24 PM #12

Posted By Daarco at 3:39 PM - Mon Jan 20 2020

C´mon, the devs take a few weeks of vacation during the holidays and the forum begin to look like the Darkfall forums back in 2007.

Well, they were kinda right to riot, if you look at Darkfall now lol :P

1/20/2020 9:03:19 PM #13

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 10:00 PM - Mon Jan 20 2020

Posted By Daarco at 3:39 PM - Mon Jan 20 2020

Well, they were kinda right to riot, if you look at Darkfall now lol :P

You want to compare a MMO in development with one that were released in 2009?

1/20/2020 9:16:10 PM #14

Posted By RedDoggybone at 2:03 PM - Mon Jan 20 2020

Hey, if someone who knows could chime in and tell us if this is common for a new game or not I would love to know.

Whether it's common or not, saying one thing then doing another is never a good thing. There could be any number of explanations for it from lack of funding to bad assumptions to inexperience and so on.

Whatever the reasons, fidelity to the vision and to the promises they made is paramount, at least to our satisfaction with whatever it is they produce in the end.

1/20/2020 9:21:21 PM #15

To answer your question OP (with my opinion) , I’d say come back next year and check stuff out. I’d prob guess a 2024-2025 release?.

Even making a website function correctly is a huge challenge for this studio and only recently have they updated their web page to not say end of 2019 release.

Seems like a studio that has a ton of great ideas that allows endless scope creep.