COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Will this community never be satisfied?

I find it so sad that every time SBS tries to give us images, concept art, or small videos of the game people are always upset. People complain that they do not show us anything, but when they give us something like the mood piece, the community harasses the developers to the point where they felt the need to take the image down.

I know that people will respond to this with down votes and the comment about how people should stop giving them money until they show "real progress" (whatever that means) or in game videos, but the fact is people still wouldnt be satisfied. We finally got some game play footage of the traversal mechanics and all anybody could say is "This does not look good, where are the graphics you promised?!", despite the many disclaimers attached to the video.

My point is when will it be enough? The fact is that the game is VERY early in development and they do not have the game play that everyone wants right now, but they are giving us what they can and that is enough for me. I just wish the people who do nothing but bash on SBS for the problems they have with the content given to us, would just be quiet and leave until the game is further along. For crying out loud people were harassing the studio for not posting a shiny when they had dangerous weather. I guarantee if someone in the studio was to spin out on ice, get injured, and delay something else, people would only whine about the delay.

Sorry for the rant. Im just tired of this community harping on the developers so much as if they dont have enough to worry about. We as their community should do nothing but encourage them and be patient until the game comes out.

If you like alchemy, settle in Amestrys. If you can find it...(NA-E)

1/22/2020 8:07:35 AM #16

For the EU its 180 days and getting a refund within those days is no problem at all.

1/22/2020 8:09:36 AM #17

Posted By Barswain at 4:39 PM - Wed Jan 22 2020

This game was never going to star citizen and raise 250mil, but the 8mil is significantly over Caspians initial projections of what he said the game could be made for.

I like this, something people often forget. What did he say the complete game could be made for? My memory is saying 3.5mil. But can't be sure if that is right.

But people love to cherry pick for their arguments. Or others, like Sagan, just assuming how people will act.

1/22/2020 9:11:18 AM #18

I have become very wary of late. Ive backed quite a few kickstarters in the last few years and all but a few have bitten me in the ass. For example, I backed a bluetooth earbud project that seemed to have prototypes already made. That was 2015 and they STILL do not have a useable product. If they ever go to market, they will have lost any edge they had originally.

Granted, Elyria is different. I expected a year or two on development. It's been what? Four? When i read a breakdown of how agriculture is supposed to work in the game, I was fascinated but my first thought was, "Jeezus, that ALONE will take months of programming." And that's just growing crops. I think it might be different if you had a large studio with 150 people working on the game, but they don't. I think maybe they need to scale down some of their aspirations and consider those for future updates. I don't want a half-finished game, but at the same time, I don't need to spend 3 hours of time on crop growth.

I do believe in this team. I would like some straight talk on where they really - REALLY - are and what their projections for Alpha, Beta and Release dates are. I am not looking for perfect projections - ballpark would be nice. But I have been looking at concept art for years now and I can't help the sinking feeling (I'm a cynic, anyway) that this is just another pair of bluetooth earbuds.

Countess Vilith D'Argent County of Silverthorn Kingdom of Vornair

1/22/2020 10:42:31 AM #19

My 2 cent here for you.

You cannot trust or understand people that today praise you and tomorrow curse you. On top of that you cannot talk with people that no matter what happens bad or good, they will praise SbS. And you cannot trust people that bad talk SbS all the time. Developing games takes time, today you succeed and tomorrow you will fail, but I the end of the days what that really matters is SbS willpower. They will give us the best games, it will take time? Yes it will obviously... So relax, get comfortable and enjoy the show.

1/22/2020 11:25:51 AM #20

Posted By Sylvae at 11:50 PM - Tue Jan 21 2020

@OP No. Because people are bored without content to entertain themselves. Some people want to make their own drama and that draws attention and creates the content they somehow can't find anywhere else. Other people have been enjoying their CoE communities doing other things. Like playing games together. There is nothing to do right now with regards to CoE, nothing to learn about or look at of interest. Just seemingly endless waiting on a game we backed pretty early. While some complaints are not totally without all merit, for the several people with nothing to do, negativity is en trende. So you've been seeing a lot of it. People do like a bandwagon. /shrug

Hopping on the bandwagon?

Nonsense, I've been leading the parade since 2015 when I told Caspian directly he could not deliver this game in the time or budget allowed and he asked if I was a game developer or had I seen their Gannt charts?

I'm batting 1000 so far ...

Blinded by the light....

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

1/22/2020 12:48:45 PM #21

Posted By Higuy333 at

I find it so sad that every time SBS tries to give us images, concept art, or small videos of the game people are always upset. People complain that they do not show us anything, but when they give us something like the mood piece, the community harasses the developers to the point where they felt the need to take the image down.

😈 The image was taken down as it was composed of plagiarized art which had not been rightfully paid for.

I know that people will respond to this with down votes and the comment about how people should stop giving them money until they show "real progress" (whatever that means) or in game videos, but the fact is people still wouldnt be satisfied. We finally got some game play footage of the traversal mechanics and all anybody could say is "This does not look good, where are the graphics you promised?!", despite the many disclaimers attached to the video.

😈 definition of real progress - deliver some portion of a playable game into backers hands sooner than later, as has often been promised.

😈 traversal mechanics demo - SBS set the stage for failure back in 2015/2016 when they were showing everyone their parkour mechanics, jousting and Princess Bride sword play using UE4 graphics.

My point is when will it be enough? The fact is that the game is VERY early in development and they do not have the game play that everyone wants right now, but they are giving us what they can and that is enough for me. I just wish the people who do nothing but bash on SBS for the problems they have with the content given to us, would just be quiet and leave until the game is further along. For crying out loud people were harassing the studio for not posting a shiny when they had dangerous weather. I guarantee if someone in the studio was to spin out on ice, get injured, and delay something else, people would only whine about the delay.

😈 very early in development? Over 5 to 15 years now depending where one puts the starting date based on Jeremy's past statements.

😈 many of those folks who you ask to go away are paying customers, who have been promised a great many things yet dates come and go with every event marred by one folly or another. They have earned their right to be disgruntled and have their say, its the bed Jeremy created after all.

😈 as for the Shiny weather delay people work from home in such situations which when pointed out Serp said "what about the kids stuck at home with me?" Silly, that's what duct tape and wives are for, the work must go on.

Sorry for the rant. Im just tired of this community harping on the developers so much as if they dont have enough to worry about. We as their community should do nothing but encourage them and be patient until the game comes out.

😈 Sure, ask the backers of Star Citizen how well that's working out for them as the 8 year mark is coming up with nary a release date in sight. (Though they do get access to what is finished, I'll grant Robert's that.)

😈 But hey, if gamers are willing to give SBS $250M or so I'm sure Jeremy will be willing to keep developing along.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

1/22/2020 1:11:35 PM #22

I'm mostly dissatisfied with us not getting the MUD, because we'd get something better. Which we didn't get because we'd get something even betterer ...soon?

If SbS had just spent three days putting together a base and assigned trusted community members to manage it we would've had 3 years of old-school gameplay already.

Instead of something ... someday.

Count Lofi of Skaaney, friend code 8766AA

1/22/2020 1:23:18 PM #23

Posted By Kyleran at 07:48 AM - Wed Jan 22 2020

😈 many of those folks who you ask to go away are paying customers, who have been promised a great many things yet dates come and go with every event marred by one folly or another. They have earned their right to be disgruntled and have their say, its the bed Jeremy created after all.

I'm all for calling out the flaws and stupidity, but as you yourself have pointed out, it's we who have backed, supported and believed in the vision who should be doing it. According to your lack of a pledge level, that does not include you. Post on a real account with a pledge badge or STFU and get off our forum.

1/22/2020 2:04:09 PM #24

@Sanguinesh think your the first dislike I’ve posted.... a lack of pledge level or disposable income does not raise or lower someone’s interest in the game. Honestly would rather see a thousand $1 backers than one $1000 backer with that attitude. *if your comment is meant as sarcasm then I’m going to need you to turn on that cue light TARS.

1/22/2020 3:34:13 PM #25

Posted By Sanguinesh_Blackwind at 07:23 AM - Wed Jan 22 2020

I'm all for calling out the flaws and stupidity, but as you yourself have pointed out, it's we who have backed, supported and believed in the vision who should be doing it. According to your lack of a pledge level, that does not include you. Post on a real account with a pledge badge or STFU and get off our forum.

Exactly what im saying. I get that you are upset that the game has not come out yet, but some of us actually think that rooting for the company would be better than constantly reminding them of the promises they made years ago and the dates they missed. I would rather not have those "paying customers" here in this community if it means all the do it post negative comments in the forum, and im sure SBS would agree judging by the fact that they did get WAY more money than they were expecting.

If you like alchemy, settle in Amestrys. If you can find it...(NA-E)

1/22/2020 3:40:39 PM #26

So for me it’s not about not being satisfied. I knew 4 years ago when I started down this path it would take a long time to see it through.

My problem is in 4 years we’ve seen sbs make the exact same mistakes over and over.

I can and have given them slack since they are a new studio and honestly the lack of polish on things is what you expect from a new indie studio. However when promises are made without any chance of upholding them (ANY projected date thus far). When a mood piece is presented with a visibly altered watermark without any explanation and when they are called out on it they delete the comments and alter the original post to make it sound like the community didn’t like it as opposed to trying to explain the situation.

It’s all starting to seem...shady to me. Now I still think they are on the up and up and CoE will be delivered. But it is clear sbs has zero desire to actually be transparent as they said they would be during the Kickstarter. And instead when they misstep and are called on it they yell “look over there!” And duck behind a tree.

Satisfied not the issue. Honesty... maybe.

1/22/2020 3:55:06 PM #27

People are stupid. SBS fucks up again and again and doesn’t even own up to it, but y‘all go at each other‘s throat. Kinda telling when Kyle has the most sane posting in all of the thread. You’re risking your bridge club membership right there, pal. 👿

1/22/2020 6:13:34 PM #28

Posted By Gunnlang at 12:06 AM - Wed Jan 22 2020

Posted By Higuy333 at

I know that people will respond to this with down votes and the comment about how people should stop giving them money until they show "real progress"

You know, Caspian himself said something very similar. Basically, "Don't give money if you aren't comfortable with how things are going".

But really, are you going to put all the blame on the community? Every single State of Elyria post has said we will get playable content the following year. To which that never happens. Maybe if SBS got realistic with their posts, people wouldn't be complaining so much. But hey, if you wanna just blame one side of the coin, you do you.

This is my view exactly. I am negative with them not because the game is nowhere near being done but because they made promises they have not been able to keep. In my opinion, they over-hyped the game at the start and continually since then. The over-hyping is the main reason for most of our discontentment. In my opinion they either have no idea at all how long it takes to do things or they are blatantly lying to us when they give these unrealistic dates. Which is worse. You decide. For that reason they have no one but to blame but themselves for doing this.

"The flak the took for the snow day cancelled shiney, and the long Christmas vacation....I’m mixed on. I believe in any job there should be a good work/life balance...but going to make a bet and say I’m guess most the people who work hard to make money to contribute to this game do not get that kinda time off, especially when for years worth of work there’s still nothing to show besides concepts. Speaking for myself I got Christmas Day and New Year’s Day off but the rest was business as usual. Regarding the bad weather; I do not believe they should risk their lives traveling to work in bad conditions. But they aren’t cops, paramedics,McDonald’s workers or one of the many other jobs where you have to show up and show productivity to keep your job on a daily basis. They are a tech company and this day and age working from home isn’t far fetched for what they do. At this point they should have no shortage of conceptual art to share via a vpn connection from their home/work laptop."

Dude there is that, someone could have posted a shiny from home but not a big deal that they didn't to me anyway. Listen, I am a postal worker in the NYC area. I fully understand that I live in a completely different environment from the west coast computer tech areas where they actually treat their employees as valuable assets. I was not one of the people complaining about them taking a two week xmas vacation nor did I even comment on them not coming to work in bad weather. Hey, if your job allows that sort of thing great for you and I will not begrudge them for getting that. However, I will say this, most of my coworkers were ordered in xmas eve and xmas day. New Years Eve and New Years day. I avoided it due to seniority. And my boss' would laugh at you if you didn't come to work if it were raining too hard or anything short of a major blizzard. So frankly, though I am completely fine with them not having to work in those situations, I sort of don't want to hear people on hear talking like no one is expected to work in these situations.

1/22/2020 6:36:59 PM #29

Posted By Kyleran at 06:25 AM - Wed Jan 22 2020

Posted By Sylvae at 11:50 PM - Tue Jan 21 2020

@OP No. Because people are bored without content to entertain themselves. Some people want to make their own drama and that draws attention and creates the content they somehow can't find anywhere else. Other people have been enjoying their CoE communities doing other things. Like playing games together. There is nothing to do right now with regards to CoE, nothing to learn about or look at of interest. Just seemingly endless waiting on a game we backed pretty early. While some complaints are not totally without all merit, for the several people with nothing to do, negativity is en trende. So you've been seeing a lot of it. People do like a bandwagon. /shrug

Hopping on the bandwagon?

Nonsense, I've been leading the parade since 2015 when I told Caspian directly he could not deliver this game in the time or budget allowed and he asked if I was a game developer or had I seen their Gannt charts?

I'm batting 1000 so far ...

Blinded by the light....

Haha, I remember you and I remember attacking you at the time for being so negative. All your Alt names started with "K" right?There was one guy who was a pure troll and I think you who I thought was a troll but secretly wondered if you knew something I didn't. I am not sure if your the guy but I remember saying to others in Pm that this person sounded like they knew Caspian outside of the boards personally. Please accept my apology. I was high on the Kool Aid then.

1/22/2020 7:39:17 PM #30

I think this thread needs to be closed now.