COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
knowledge inheritance

will our children already know all of the knowledge that we learned? i know they will start at a lower skill and through skill ramps can surpass the previous character, but if i spend a year learning all this knowledge about whatever profession i am, it would be pretty annoying as a player to have to learn it all again. I think skills being lower and skill ramps are fine, but keep the knowledge we have already learned.

Everyone wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.

1/30/2020 12:09:06 AM #1

i think they lose their previous life's knowledge if by 'knowledge' you mean who they know, how to get to a place, recognizing other characters in game, and potentially recipes etc

1/30/2020 12:12:32 AM #2

I mean more like if youre a blacksmith maybe then you learn the job like this mineral melts at a hotter temperature than the other mineral. and for how long. or as a farmer this plant needs these nutrients to grow and this other plant likes hotter/colder temperature

Everyone wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.

1/30/2020 12:21:02 AM #3

hrmm - we haven't been given any info on a level that detailed as far as i know so any answer would currently be speculative

1/30/2020 12:36:59 AM #4

you can potentially pass it on to yourself by teaching your child that you'll spark into. maybe even write a book with your info tokens. so that your child (you) can read it and gain those info tokens.

1/30/2020 12:57:00 AM #5

my understanding based upon Snipehunter's detailed post on crafting and subsequent discussions is that although you might "know" that a certain ore melts at a certain temperature, you will still need to learn the technique in game for yourself and become proficient in it through actual practice in game

when a certain proficiency level in that particular technique is learned, you will be able to script your character to perform it whilst you are afk/offline since your character always stays within game

i am pretty sure that there will be many out of game tutorials to illustrate various techniques etc - not that i am in favor of or against them but there are some parts of meta gaming that can't and won't be prevented

1/30/2020 1:32:00 AM #6

In June 2018 I asked Snipehunter about this. He said that as it is currently implemented, skill ramps are the things that carry over, the character's knowledge base does not and it must be taught. That was in Discord though, so it might change.... but I wouldn't bet on it. And remember, you can put recipes and techniques in recipe books and codices for quicker learning.

1/30/2020 8:01:40 AM #7

I responded to a similar question in @Duyo's other post of the day. I recall that the loss of character skills at death was a design intention, to prevent the development of superpowered characters a la Eve. The limitation is somewhat mitigated by childhood cultural learning and soul-bound skill ramping, so it is possible for a player to develop exceptionally skilled characters over several RL years with dedicated effort.

Of course this could possibly change, but it would be at the cost of disappointing and possibly enraging those of us who were attracted by the character life limitations.

1/30/2020 3:03:19 PM #8

You'll have to prepare for your hier(s) education. They willl have to learn everything from scratch. A while back, I asked about Regional Bonuses and Caspian clarified saying something along the lines of "Your biome doesn't provide free skills but they give you some relevant knowledge that helps you survive in the environment". For example, maybe something like firemaking/forestry starting knowledge in the cold biomes. Or pharmacology starting knowledge in the swamp. Animal Husbandry starting knowledge in the grasslands. Etc. So even as a fresh spawn, your character should start off with a handful of basic knowledge, which is useful and cool.

I think you can "unspark" a character early, which would let them live out their last few years as old menn or womenn, possibly able to help pass on knowledge while you're playing your new hier character. Another nice thing to keep in mind is the Adolescent Learning buff, which increases the rate of learning. So a good start to life can see you starting the game with all or most of your desired skills learned and at novice level.

Whilst in game the main ways they would be done (as far as we can tell atm) is by: Reading recipes and codices. Being tutored by a character with the knowledge. Observing other characters and following them as they use their skills. And joining an Organisation. For the early backers, we can simulate an inheritance by using EP to purchase codices.

"If we wait until we are ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives..." code: CD83B4