COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Undiscovered Continents/Tribes

The starting continent is about 30% of the total landmass. Does this mean that the other 70% is complete wilderness apart from a few settlements belonging to the other four tribes(Yoru, Mydarri etc.), or do the other four tribes have their own massive sprawling kingdoms?

Added on 14/2/2020: By the way, there's a second page now.

Signed, Mapkeeper

2/11/2020 4:21:09 PM #1

If the other four tribes had a total monopoly on 70% of the total landmass and free reign to develop it that would be pretty unbalanced, absurdly so. I think it's unlikely in that sense.

Having said that, those four tribes will still likely originate on those continents but start the game in a sort of suspended animation. In literal terms, the other continents won't exist until the devs are ready to introduce them and the new tribes. A lot of the more advanced seafaring technology won't be available at launch which will prevent players from making it too far away from the areas the devs have curated (for lack of a better term). As development and the 10 year timeline moves forward the tech tree will grow; exploration will happen; and the new tribes will be, in a sense, beamed down to the world.

From a lore standpoint the uncivilized portions of the world will be very sparsely populated to functionally uninhabited, much like many places colonized by Europeans during the 15'-1800's. This is a tangent, but before WWII the overwhelming majority of the human species was located in China, India, and Europe. In terms of relative population density the Americas and Africa were pretty much uninhabited when compared to China, India, and Europe.

It is likely that the situation in Elyria will be something like that. The other four tribes are out there, but they aren't really... doing anything.

2/11/2020 4:22:30 PM #2

I would expect that other continents / landmasses have significantly more wilderness than the four starting continents. Ideally there would be huge open swaths of land where the survival mechanics really become the true test.

I think the 4 other tribes will likely be arranged in kingdoms of their own, with settlements becoming more and more sparse as borders give way to the unexplored. I also think it's very unlikely that these tribes will have settlements everywhere as we do on the starting maps.

I'm excited to see which way SBS's goes with this.

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!

2/11/2020 5:15:03 PM #3

I thought that maybe there would be some sort of AI system that develops the other tribes' kingdoms though we're unaware of it? If the other four tribes don't actually do anything until the 'original' eight come along, then what's the point? If someone wanted to start as a newly-discovered Yoru then they'd be better off starting as one of the 'original' eight as the Yoru would still be trying to catch up with the other tribes in all areas of development.

Signed, Mapkeeper

2/11/2020 5:24:34 PM #4

As far as we are aware they have more advanced technology than us I believe (at least the Mydarri do with their boats) So I would expect there to be some sort of structure and kingdoms present in those lands. However I do not expect it to be all claimed. Or rather I do not expect more than half claimed if I’m being honest.

The idea for that sort of game play is to be able to command and conquer. So it wouldn’t make sense for it to be all kingdoms and established. I look forward to there being kingdoms, settlements, small city state things and the likes.

2/11/2020 7:11:41 PM #5

The whole point of D&SS is for players to start as owners of land...that belongs to the eight launch tribes. This means that for the other four tribes, you can't own land there unless you manage to take it from other people or from the wilderness. I seriously doubt the developers would go through another D&SS process for the other four tribes.

Signed, Mapkeeper

2/11/2020 8:16:35 PM #6

Correct. They will not do another DSS for the other continents. It’s first come first serve.

2/11/2020 8:29:36 PM #7

Who says the the other four tribes are the only other ones out there? Those are just other tribes that eventually will be playable. What about other groups that are not planned on to be playable? What, you think SBS isnt keeping any story line secrets like that to themselves? I highly doubt that 72% of the world is populated by four other tribes or that most of it is simply unsettled and waiting for us to take it. I am sure there is probably some unsettled lands intended for us to find and have some fun with.

Of the other four tribes though, the Yoru will be in a biome that doesnt likely occupy a whole lot of landmass as it will be a biome that most folks wont care to venture into. The Mydarri are supposedly largely nomadic on the water so while they may have some land base somewhere, I doubt they take up a large portion of the world landmass. Finally we have the Erishe and Owem. Their biomes could easily connect to each other and thus could form a Kingdom of their own perhaps.

That accounts for some very harsh tundra land, some desert and some possibly connected Savanna to that desert. The Mydarri may be on some island chain somewhere or some other mostly coastal region. That leaves an awful lot of land out there, most of which would be prime land as the four other tribes are said to have more extreme challenges to survival.

So, I would definitely place my bet that there are some unannounced powers out there that we wont know anything about for quite some time.

2/11/2020 9:43:04 PM #8

I wasn't specifically talking about Yoru, that was an example. Also the Mydarri live in the Saltwater Mangrove, according to the CoE website's page on tribes.

Signed, Mapkeeper

2/12/2020 8:25:50 AM #9

The bottom line is that we don't know what the other continents will be like right now, except from what we know of the tribes that will reportedly inhabit them and their preferred biomes.

2/12/2020 3:21:55 PM #10

How many continents would there be? I'm guessing five or six, maybe less for Oceanus.

Signed, Mapkeeper

2/12/2020 3:59:22 PM #11

Let us know when you find out!

Also, according to lore, there are 2 other realms, one of which is perpetually on fire (Karcion) and one is a paradise I guess (Haven). How much of this is actually real and not myth is obviously not known at this point but it's there.

Turns out, Haven is Oceanus and Karcion is NA-E. Jokes on everyone!

2/12/2020 4:43:54 PM #12

The four servers are named after deities, I think. Angelica was the First Ancient, the first goddess. Luna was Angelica's shadow twin. Selene was the wife of Daemon, god of fire, created by Terra, goddess of land. Oceanus, god of water, was Terra's twin.

So Selene(EU) would be related to Karcion and Angelica(NA-W) would be related to Haven.

Signed, Mapkeeper

2/12/2020 5:29:33 PM #13

Posted By Mapkeeper at 11:43 AM - Wed Feb 12 2020

The four servers are named after deities, I think. Angelica was the First Ancient, the first goddess. Luna was Angelica's shadow twin. Selene was the wife of Daemon, god of fire, created by Terra, goddess of land. Oceanus, god of water, was Terra's twin.

So Selene(EU) would be related to Karcion and Angelica(NA-W) would be related to Haven.

Clearly those names did not have to clear the SBS Realm Naming Tribunal. 😁

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

2/12/2020 11:18:58 PM #14

Can you spark into a character of those 4 undiscovered tribes once the continents are discovered? Would be much easier to create an alt on the new continents than having to explore and then travel tto them!

2/13/2020 1:43:03 AM #15

Once the tribes are discovered, yes. Players will be able to spark into them.