COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Welcome to New World!

Hello citizens of Elyria

Today Bordweall has announced the start of a company for the incoming game by Amazon "New World"

We are looking to invite all members of the CoE community interested in playing New World to join us as we prepare for its imminent launch!

The game is expected to have many companies ranging from 100-1000 players. The more people we can gather, the more we can achieve and the more doors / content will open for us all to enjoy!

The backing level you have in CoE may not effect your position in this community as it is unrelated to the game and we ask that people understand that. The amount someone has spent is not indicative of how they will be viewed or treated!

You are all welcome to join and we would love to see involvement from the CoE community outside of Bordweall so that we may enjoy the game together. Whether you be a player who shies away from PvP or a blood thirsty PvPer, all are welcome and we hope to see you there.

New World Discord

Novigrad County~ Together we stand strong and bring despair to those who dare cross us.

2/26/2020 11:14:44 PM #1

Awesome! looking forward to it. See you there! And yes it would be great to have some others from the CoE community join regardless of Kingdom/Server affiliation etc. Gives us something to do while we wait ;)

2/26/2020 11:38:38 PM #2

That game is DOA since they gutted the whole pvp system, and there's no pve to speak of...

2/26/2020 11:44:16 PM #3

I am definitely not a fan of some of the changes they've made but based on the current closed alpha, we're hoping that they change some things before launch. The studio has even said that they're open to bringing past mechanics back and that they aren't committed to their current content.

Novigrad County~ Together we stand strong and bring despair to those who dare cross us.

2/27/2020 12:09:58 AM #4

Posted By Vucar at 5:38 PM - Wed Feb 26 2020

That game is DOA since they gutted the whole pvp system, and there's no pve to speak of...

Im almost as hyped for New World as I am for CoE, maybe because of its release in sight. But how would you know it has no PvE to speak of? Are you judging it off of the very early NDA closed alpha that is like a year old? Because from what I have heard there is a lot of PvE now.

I am also looking for a company to join. I have a few potential ones, but this one might be the one for me. What is most important to me is the possibility to be a consul (Second in command, can have any number) of the company.

If you like alchemy, settle in Amestrys. If you can find it...(NA-E)

2/27/2020 12:38:27 AM #5

One of the changes since alpha was the addition of a lot more PvE content. That's something they highlighted in their dev videos.

The most interesting thing about Amazon walking back their open world PvP designs is what this means for CoE. In interviews with their lead designers, they said these changes were made as a direct result of the data from alpha. Whether the game will now appeal to a broader base remains to be seen, but it's undeniably a shift away from the hardcore PvP crowd toward the larger more casual audience that ostensibly doesn't enjoy being ganked repeatedly.

SBS will be confronted with the same challenges, so this is a game worth keeping an eye on.

2/27/2020 1:08:02 AM #6

Posted By Higuy333 at 4:09 PM - Wed Feb 26 2020

Im almost as hyped for New World as I am for CoE, maybe because of its release in sight. But how would you know it has no PvE to speak of? Are you judging it off of the very early NDA closed alpha that is like a year old?

I know it has virtually no pve in the same way I know that a firm which spends five years building a high-rise condo in front of everyone abruptly changes gears and advertises for instead building a themepark in its place... in less than one year.

Here's a quote from the original creative director of New World, Patrick Gilmore:

The spine of the game is player versus player combat. You’ll probably be murdered in New World. So, yes, players will be able to freely kill other players, but we have a number of systems like Sanctuary and Criminal Justice, which add interesting consequence and drama to that experience. I came to realize that the constant press of danger was fundamental to the thrill of the game—making New World a peaceful world would deprive players of the stakes and drama of trying to forge a new life in an uncaring and supernatural wilderness.”

Posted By Hieronymus at 4:38 PM - Wed Feb 26 2020

One of the changes since alpha was the addition of a lot more PvE content. That's something they highlighted in their dev videos.

Yes. I'm sure 5 months is plenty of time to add enough PVE content to support a game who's foundational spine has literally been ripped out.

2/27/2020 1:25:28 AM #7

Vucar are you expecting people to play this more than 6 weeks even if it's good? lol

I give it two months tops.. ok maybe three before everyone is bored with it. Isn't that the way all these new games go lately?

I'm hoping they turn pvp back up a tad and this keeps us entertained for a while so SbS can get caught up on some stuff while we're distracted. Yes it's a long shot but there's not much else on the radar...

2/27/2020 2:14:52 AM #8

Posted By Noslim at 5:25 PM - Wed Feb 26 2020

Vucar are you expecting people to play this more than 6 weeks even if it's good? lol

Oh no. The 5 months I stated are the amount of time between when they announced the new game direction to the time of release (December to May). Even if you're very generous and claim their direction changed before then, they had no quests, no raids, and virtually no other pve content as of June 2019.

As I said in the beginning, New World is dead in the water unless they backpedal on ... basically everything they said in December.

2/27/2020 2:16:19 AM #9

Posted By Noslim at 8:25 PM - Wed Feb 26 2020

I give it two months tops.. ok maybe three before everyone is bored with it. Isn't that the way all these new games go lately?

I'm hoping they turn pvp back up a tad and this keeps us entertained for a while so SbS can get caught up on some stuff while we're distracted. Yes it's a long shot but there's not much else on the radar...

Hey now, Wastelanders launches April 7th, I'll be very busy grinding up my faction rankings.

Raiders of course.

😄

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

2/27/2020 2:36:10 AM #10

Posted By Vucar at 7:08 PM - Wed Feb 26 2020

Yes. I'm sure 5 months is plenty of time to add enough PVE content to support a game who's foundational spine has literally been ripped out.

Perhaps not. But they may also want to test their ideas further before investing greatly in any one direction or could just be planning to release new content periodically, like on a quarterly schedule. I dunno. We'll find out soon enough.

But your point is well taken and I think it underscores just how serious a problem it must have been that they elected to change a core design. They didn't make the change blindly. When they said that the PvP design created a toxic environment for players, it probably really did. I'm not sure how CoE can escape this problem when it promises even less constraints on PvP and fewer tools to combat the problem.

It's just something to ponder until we have something to test.

2/27/2020 5:09:18 AM #11

Posted By Hieronymus at 6:36 PM - Wed Feb 26 2020

But your point is well taken and I think it underscores just how serious a problem it must have been that they elected to change a core design. They didn't make the change blindly. When they said that the PvP design created a toxic environment for players, it probably really did. I'm not sure how CoE can escape this problem when it promises even less constraints on PvP and fewer tools to combat the problem.

I would argue the bolded is actually the reverse. CoE, as it has been described to us, inherently solves the majority of the problems griefing and unchecked pvp creates in most sandboxes very eloquently with a closed resource economy. Less constraints and more freedom are at once both the greatest fear of most triple A mmo publishers, and the greatest solution to their fear.

Despite my obvious bitterness, I do hope New World comes around to some kind of radical change to save it from itself, as the combat looks pretty engaging. The mmo world is pretty dry right now, otherwise.

2/27/2020 12:15:14 PM #12

Posted By Vucar at 12:09 AM - Thu Feb 27 2020

Posted By Hieronymus at 6:36 PM - Wed Feb 26 2020

I would argue the bolded is actually the reverse. CoE, as it has been described to us, inherently solves the majority of the problems griefing and unchecked pvp creates in most sandboxes very eloquently with a closed resource economy. Less constraints and more freedom are at once both the greatest fear of most triple A mmo publishers, and the greatest solution to their fear.

Despite my obvious bitterness, I do hope New World comes around to some kind of radical change to save it from itself, as the combat looks pretty engaging. The mmo world is pretty dry right now, otherwise.

I think what Amazon needs to do is quit flip flopping on what the game's design actually is.

They keep talking out of both sides of their mouths hoping to broaden New Worlds appeal but instead it seems to be confusing those who favor or eschew PVP.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

2/27/2020 2:37:48 PM #13

Posted By Hieronymus at 03:36 AM - Thu Feb 27 2020

(...)But your point is well taken and I think it underscores just how serious a problem it must have been that they elected to change a core design. They didn't make the change blindly. When they said that the PvP design created a toxic environment for players, it probably really did(...)

I'd like to argue that what Vucar said is true (to a point, it's mainly online persistence that's likely to have the most impact), but that they are both looking at a different target audience as well. Amazon wants to carter for main-stream, since they want to make the most revenue possible with the product. SBS is targeting a niche audience on the other hand, so both can get away with a drastically different user experience..

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

2/27/2020 6:28:37 PM #14

Posted By Logain at 08:37 AM - Thu Feb 27 2020

SBS is targeting a niche audience on the other hand, so both can get away with a drastically different user experience..

I'm not as certain as you are about that. For one thing, you can't fill a world as big as Elyria is supposed to be by targeting a niche audience. That would be too big for too few players and more of a hindrance than a feature. Player density would be abysmal in that scenario, and many of the player-driven elements that are supposed to be in the game would break down pretty rapidly without enough players to fill roles. Simply put, they wouldn't need to build The Largest World Ever™ for The Smallest Playerbase Ever™.

Also just look around this community. There are lots of people interested in role playing and the non-combat mechanics of CoE, including farming, crafting and settlement management. I think there's quite a diverse cross-section of the wider gaming community represented here. Something about the game drew them here too.

No matter what though, revenue is a business concern and if they can't generate enough revenue, it's game over. Aww yeah. I just closed with a pun (don't hate me)! XD

2/27/2020 6:38:01 PM #15

Posted By Vucar at 11:09 PM - Wed Feb 26 2020

It sure is. And the few asian MMOs I've played all seem to do the same sort of stupid things that bore me or frustrate me after 30 days. So I'm back to playing first person shooters for the foreseeable future. New World is the only interesting MMORPG on the horizon and with Amazon at the helm, I am hopeful that it can generate some new excitement despite the capitulation on PvP.