COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
A Search Function for Domain Maps?

An idea i've had for a while now (since around the first go of Settlers of Elyria), is that it would be easier to find a place to settle into, if there was the option for me to narrow down all the info included in the maps, to only those I, as a player, would be interested in.

For example, if i'm looking to settle a Fishing settlement somewhere, why do I have to endlessly search until I find one in an area and with a tribe majority I want? That sounds tedious and I believe the community as a whole can benefit from a few search options. Things like Tribe majoirty, biome, settlement size and settlement type.

This would especially be a good idea going forward for newer players joining the community, who might not be involoved in any community and see this big map, with all its information, as very overwhelming. This would lead them to seek answers inside the community itself, when everything they need to get started and find a home, and its community, can be right there to help them.

Just something to think about, because what better way to attract and keep players, then by making one of the first major choices about how and where they are going to play the game, as seamless as could be?

3/12/2020 6:55:30 PM #1

This sounds like something they said they want to do for character creation. It could be handy for these maps too. nod

3/12/2020 7:16:55 PM #2

I think it would be a great feature to add as the Domain sales continue, given how much more information newcomers might need than old backers to find their best home in Elyria.

3/12/2020 7:45:07 PM #3

This was something that I, and others, suggested a few times back during DSS.

It was turned down for a few reasons, the primary one I remember Caspian mentioning was that they wanted people to explore the maps, and see all the options, not just search for and pick the one they thought they wanted.

Edit:

Was Snipe, not Caspian, sorry...though Caspian piggy-backed on it during the conversation.

Imgur

3/12/2020 8:23:59 PM #4

Posted By Marovec at 12:45 PM - Thu Mar 12 2020

This was something that I, and others, suggested a few times back during DSS.

It was turned down for a few reasons, the primary one I remember Caspian mentioning was that they wanted people to explore the maps, and see all the options, not just search for and pick the one they thought they wanted.

Edit:

Was Snipe, not Caspian, sorry...though Caspian piggy-backed on it during the conversation.

Their concerns were reasonable, I'm sure. But I do think it becomes progressively more sensible as we move from DSS, where most players were choosing locations based more on existing communities and previously known features, tribes, etc., to jump-starting new and unfamiliar players into the communities and world of Elyria. It's not crucial, but I think it makes more and more sense as we go forward.

Personally, I think it would have been nice during DSS, all else aside, but it might be an appealing part of the developing online experience in this new phase.