COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Can I repick my settlement???

I picked a village because it was in the mountains and that was the one thing I wanted...

But the new map looks like a rolling hill more than a mountain...

So now I feel screwed because my settlement is nothing like that I wanted.

So can I repick?

3/15/2020 3:00:13 PM #1

If the new maps are more accurate, then I agree - what happened to the mountains? The height map looks more like practice at light and shadowing.

3/15/2020 3:03:33 PM #2

My guess is probably not...

Since they can't get SOE to work for the spots they still have left right now, I highly doubt that they will be able to go backwards and redo what is already done...

Or that they will want to...

I'm kind of in the same situation with the settlement I also chose, so I understand your frustration...

I'm going with the make the best of what I have and assume they may do some type of buyback and resale program after SOE...

For another fee, of course.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

3/15/2020 3:06:40 PM #3

I now wish I had just handed my title in, spawned in a hamlet in my idea location and used all my ep to take it over...

3/15/2020 3:15:20 PM #4

They intentionally pulled some of the detail out of the map so that it is harder for people to tell, for sure, what resources are where. I read that somewhere, though I can't say how long ago or what article it was in. You still, very well, may be in your mountain settlement. It just may not reflect directly only the map yet.

Unfortunately your choice is locked in though. Try to be positive about it.

3/15/2020 3:37:25 PM #5

This is definitely one of the reasons they switched over to the new styles. Originally the mountains were drawn based on incline.

Caspian ☁07/19/2019
Yep. We've scowered earth geological and topological definitions to try and ascertain the difference between a mountain and a hill and couldn't find one.

Some say it's absolute height, some say relative height, and in most cases nobody can agree on what those heights are.

So we took a different approach and tied to a game mechanic that people can visualize and relate to. We tied it to the angle of incline.

Below a certain angle, it's a hill. Once the angle of incline becomes steep enough we identify it as a mountain. If the localized elevation is very high we mark it as a tall peak. If it's significantly lower but still quite a bit taller than your average hill we mark it as a medium peak. Everything else is a small peak. So it could be the small peak is a steep incline of no more than a couple parcels in height.. 64, 128, 256m high. But it could go right up to almost being as tall as a medium peek but fall just short of the cutoff line.

This means that people that thought they had a single huge mountain in the plains more probably just had a more easily defended high ground.

3/15/2020 5:49:20 PM #6

Posted By Kayadine at 3:15 PM - Sun Mar 15 2020

They intentionally pulled some of the detail out of the map so that it is harder for people to tell, for sure, what resources are where. I read that somewhere, though I can't say how long ago or what article it was in. You still, very well, may be in your mountain settlement. It just may not reflect directly only the map yet.

As I say though I went with the one defining detail there was. A mountain, apart from that and Neran I care not.

3/15/2020 5:58:28 PM #7

Posted By Sir_Skylos at 10:49 AM - Sun Mar 15 2020

Posted By Kayadine at 3:15 PM - Sun Mar 15 2020

As I say though I went with the one defining detail there was. A mountain, apart from that and Neran I care not.

I mean if it makes you feel any better, you can tell from the quote I gave you that one of the metrics for the tall peak icon you saw was "If the localized elevation is very high we mark it as a tall peak."

So it could look more like a mountain than it appears on this new map, not because its elevation is super high by continent standards, but because the peak is high by local standards.

Hopefully it doesn't disappoint in game man.

3/15/2020 9:01:41 PM #8

Given all the changes that have been reported they should just let people swap into any open location that is of a similar size for free.

The terrain has changed, citizens, structures, sustainability.

Not saying anyone should be forced to repick, but since there is a lot of open land, why not let people swap if they can and want to?

3/15/2020 9:21:41 PM #9

i'm pretty sure that there are still mountains there dog the map just went to a topographical map and those lines are a change in elevation there are no mountain markers anywhere

McPoyles rule

3/16/2020 1:32:25 AM #10

Posted By mcpoyle at 9:21 PM - Sun Mar 15 2020

i'm pretty sure that there are still mountains there dog the map just went to a topographical map and those lines are a change in elevation there are no mountain markers anywhere

I know that, I complained it looked like my mountain had changed into a hill on the topography map...

3/16/2020 5:56:32 AM #11

Still you can officialy ask to the studio. Maybe something is possible....

Skilpadde - Leviathan's City in Salernum

3/16/2020 6:08:49 AM #12

Unfortunately, it is not possible

3/16/2020 6:37:36 AM #13

I know a few people that would put in more money to be allowed to change spots after this latest map.

As long as it it's optional, and doesn't affect those who want to stay, why not?

Probably too much extra work for the studio right now I would assume.

3/16/2020 6:56:59 AM #14

That would kind of be my assumption since the event already started and theyre gonna be available for purchase for quite some time

3/16/2020 10:30:18 AM #15

If you go look at the Rocky Mountains on Google maps, they don't look like mountains either. The new maps might make it look flatter than it is, due to the straight down camera angle which was used.

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!