COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
SOE, global economy, and the impact of COVID-19

Hi. As the title says, I am wondering if SBS are discussing internally the impacts of the viral pandemic that has stricken or will stricken down many hourly employees such as myself. I feel that many of us will be denied the opportunity to pick during the event because we will be involuntary out of a job for two weeks or longer.

Does SBS have any plans to halt the event, extend its duration, or otherwise help out in some way those unfortunate enough to be caught with their financial pants down?

I really wanted to be able to buy a domain this time around but I just got bad timing. I don't know how many other potential consumers are thinking the same thing but I'd for sure would appreciate a response.

3/17/2020 5:30:21 PM #1

While there may be some competition for spots during this event, if they stick to what they have said in the past, the site will remain up for people to buy domains even after the event has "officially concluded".

The timing on this is unfortunate, but you will have the ability to purchase domains later.

Hope things work out for you in RL, it's a rough situation.

Imgur

3/17/2020 5:31:11 PM #2

Given the countless delays, false starts, and resets of this event, my guess is they will let SoE run its course as planned if they have any hope of restoring confidence to this community of their ability to execute plans.

3/17/2020 5:34:14 PM #3

SoE is only the discounted event for the domains and settlements. You’ll only be missing out on that discount. Not the opportunity to purchase.

Once the 45 days is over the prices will return to normal and last either until exposition or when they decide to cut it off.

3/17/2020 9:18:41 PM #4

Posted By Lord_Greystoke at 2:00 PM - Tue Mar 17 2020

Admin edit: Content removed - Code of Conduct violation

I highly doubt that was their intention. I, for one, would rather them continue the event and announce later that the discounts could come back at some point (it's totally up to them). Things need to progress and it's not like they wanted to pick this time to re-release SoE. Just bad timing, and natural events happen all the time whether we like it or not. As always, we have a choice to spend money here or not. No one is forcing you.

3/17/2020 9:38:48 PM #5

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 12:34 PM - Tue Mar 17 2020

SoE is only the discounted event for the domains and settlements. You’ll only be missing out on that discount. Not the opportunity to purchase.

Once the 45 days is over the prices will return to normal and last either until exposition or when they decide to cut it off.

Im not sure if you read the OP or if you are simply aloof as a Duke. I joined the community because of SoE so I could stake a claim at an affordable price. However, at this point in time consumer confidence, my confidence, is low and I am unsure of the future economically.

I would appreciate an extension, not necessarily of "the event" but perhaps a freeze on the prices for a time afterward.

3/17/2020 9:48:13 PM #6

The OP didn’t state anything about wanting to buy during this event because of the affordable prices. It had sounded as though they were unaware that you’d still be able to purchase settlements and or domains after it has halted.

That is where I was clarifying.

3/17/2020 10:06:59 PM #7

@GReystroke

Okay bud.

3/17/2020 10:18:18 PM #8

Posted By Zsiledifyshk at 3:06 PM - Tue Mar 17 2020

@Greystroke

Okay bud.

Ignore him Zsil, I get the feeling that Greystoke woulda condemned SbS for using Covid-19 as an excuse to delay SoE if they had done so. Maybe even accuse them of waiting until people had more funds so that they could gouge us for more moneys.

When people want to condemn someone it doesn't really matter what the circumstances are they will find a way.

3/17/2020 10:25:45 PM #9

Oh, I was just gonna leave it with that xD

3/17/2020 10:25:59 PM #10

Posted By Labbe at 6:18 PM - Tue Mar 17 2020

Posted By Zsiledifyshk at 3:06 PM - Tue Mar 17 2020

@Greystroke

Okay bud.

Ignore him Zsil, I get the feeling that Greystoke woulda condemned SbS for using Covid-19 as an excuse to delay SoE if they had done so. Maybe even accuse them of waiting until people had more funds so that they could gouge us for more moneys.

When people want to condemn someone it doesn't really matter what the circumstances are they will find a way.

"I get the feeling"

Herein lies the difference between your opinion and my post which is based on evidential based facts.

People usually use opinions, as fact, when they can't/fail to form a proper debate.

My point still stands regardless of your "feelings".

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization. -Robert Noyce

3/17/2020 11:38:24 PM #11

You're trying to completely distort the situation and event to fit your own narrative in bashing the studio.

You have had absolutely no constructive or actually contributing messages other than to cause harassment to the studio and their employees.

Not a single person at the studio could have predicted that this outbreak would be this "bad" or "intense" or "chaotic" that it would cause anyone to be in a finacial position where they aren't able to purchase anything FOR A GAME ON THE INTERNET. It has never been stated once that this type of event would never reoccur, or that the domains/settlements would never ever go on sale after this. It was however stated that some of these domains/settlements would be saved for future events/giveaways.

If you're trying to blame the studio for having an event during a time that wasn't even entirely that bad when it started and was projected to launch, as being unethical, for selling a perk for a game then you clearly need to reevaluate what is and isn't unethical.

It is a video game, not a priority. If you aren't able to purchase a settlement/domain during this time, then make it your goal to either buy it later, because its not going anywhere, or make it your goal in game to make your way up and take it over. This isn't your only chance to get it, this isn't your last chance to get it and its not going to be no chance to get it later.

They care deeply about their community, the people losing their lives, and people getting sick. That has been said time and time again. Don't twist it again to fit your damn narrative.

Take a breather, it would probably be best for you to take time away from the game to regather your thoughts

3/17/2020 11:53:58 PM #12

Gettin heated. Apologies to the OP for my part in derailing your thread.

Hopefully, if you do not find the funds to get a domain before SoE is over, the places you are looking at are still available when you Do have the funds

Another option is to reach out and join a community with hopes to pool together for a domain. Gift cards arent available right now but it could be good to get in close with one of CoEs communities until they come back. Maybe play some other games with em while we wait for CoE testing to really take off.

@Anchoret too. Welcome to the community. Sorry current events are making it hard for you to get your hands on a title, but absolutely worst case scenario everything can be earned or taken in game <3 Hopefully you stick around and fine some alternative ways to reach your goal.

3/17/2020 11:54:26 PM #13

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 7:38 PM - Tue Mar 17 2020

It is in no way shape or form stating that. You're trying to completely distort the situation and event to fit your own narrative in bashing the studio.

You have had absolutely no constructive or actually contributing messages other than to cause harassment to the studio and their employees.

Not a single person at the studio could have predicted that this outbreak would be this "bad" or "intense" or "chaotic" that it would cause anyone to be in a finacial position where they aren't able to purchase anything FOR A GAME ON THE INTERNET. It has never been stated once that this event would never reoccur, or that the domains/settlements would never ever go on sale after this. It was however stated that some of these domains/settlements would be saved for future events/giveaways.

If you're trying to blame the studio for having an event during a time that wasn't even entirely that bad when it started and was projected to launch, as being unethical, for selling a perk for a game then you clearly need to reevaluate what is and isn't unethical.

It is a video game, not a priority. If you aren't able to purchase a settlement/domain during this time, then make it your goal to either buy it later, because its not going anywhere, or make it your goal in game to make your way up and take it over. This isn't your only chance to get it, this isn't your last chance to get it and its not going to be no chance to get it later.

They care deeply about their community, the people losing their lives, and people getting sick. That has been said time and time again. Don't twist it again to fit your damn narrative.

Take a breather, it would probably be best for you to take time away from the game to regather your thoughts

So much failed logic, tons of strawman fallacies, in this overly worded emotional rant, I don't even know where to begin.

I will address this part of your comment, and I quote; It is a video game, not a priority.

I basically said the same thing (in more words), but yet here you are bashing me for it. Sigh.

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization. -Robert Noyce

3/18/2020 12:00:03 AM #14

Lol

Anyways, Anchoret & CrimsonFlows I would suggest what Labbe said, there are lots of places in the community where people are helping each other out to get domains/settlements that they can't really afford but would really be interested in trying to run.

3/18/2020 4:17:27 AM #15

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 1:34 PM - Tue Mar 17 2020

How? Is the goal of SoE not for every remaining domain to either sell or be claimed by an npc, or am I missing what the point of this event is?