COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Souls, the Akashic Record, and the path to Enlightenment.

In CoE, reincarnation is the name of the game when it comes to souls. Souls enter the body, learn from the experiences of life, and then when that body dies, they return to the Akashic Record to review their life's experiences and await reincarnation into the next life.

But what happens to a soul so old and so learned that it reaches enlightenment? Typically in religions involving reincarnation, there is a finish line for souls called enlightenment where they finally pass on to some greater existence. Could this happen in CoE too?

I seek to find an answer to this question. For this experiment, I pledge to only groom a single one of my souls over the life of the game. No alts. I want to see if I can groom a soul to the point it achieves enlightenment and to do that I believe I'll need to give it 100% of my attention, hence the no alting.

I'm also curious to see what differences become apparent between those who groom several souls and those who focus more on empowering their family line. For this experiment, unless adoption becomes a thing, I will not have children. I will forsake empowerment of the flesh in favor of empowerment of the soul.

This is not a call for others to do the same. This is not some challenge against those who do alt or focus on families. All these play styles are valid. I just wanted to present an idea that I seek to pursue.

This all being said, does anyone else have thoughts on this? Anyone care to weigh in?

3/22/2020 5:41:14 PM #1

This seems like a big gamble to me.
How would you meassure your advancement to enlightenment?
How can you ever be sure SBS implemented such a thing?

Imho the confirmed features for souls (inheritance, skill ramps, titles and talents) already provide the players with plenty of gameplay challenges and fun.

3/22/2020 5:45:30 PM #2

Posted By Turlorn at 1:41 PM - Sun Mar 22 2020

Imho the confirmed features for souls (inheritance, skill ramps and talents) already provide the players with plenty of gameplay challenges and fun.

No telling unless I try. There are a lot of secrets to this game. How to become a Lich or Vampire, the mysteries of the various gods and spirits,

I'm willing to take the risk to see what happens and I am in no way calling for others to try. I just want to see what happens, if anything.

3/22/2020 5:49:51 PM #3

Posted By TheCheshireDragon at 1:45 PM - Sun Mar 22 2020

Imho the confirmed features for souls (inheritance, skill ramps and talents) already provide the players with plenty of gameplay challenges and fun.

No telling unless I try. There are a lot of secrets to this game. How to become a Lich or Vampire, the mysteries of the various gods and spirits,

I'm willing to take the risk to see what happens and I am in no way calling for others to try. I just want to see what happens, if anything.

I'm definitely going to try to become a Lich if its possible to do that and be a noble over my realm at the same time. As far as enlightened souls go, I'd enjoy seeing an implementation like that in the game.

Maybe I'd have a scribe catalogue certain souls and if they stop by somewhere down the line, they'll be remembered and welcomed once more.

~ ~ Xertez ~ Arch Duke of Fortuna ~ Rosemarsh/Blacklily/Whiteblight ~ ~ ~ Luna (NA-E) Server ~

3/22/2020 5:51:56 PM #4

That's a really cool idea and goal, TheCheshireDragon. Good luck and I hope to see you achieve enlightenment!

3/22/2020 6:37:13 PM #5

Posted By Xertez at 1:49 PM - Sun Mar 22 2020

Posted By TheCheshireDragon at 1:45 PM - Sun Mar 22 2020

I'm definitely going to try to become a Lich if its possible to do that and be a noble over my realm at the same time. As far as enlightened souls go, I'd enjoy seeing an implementation like that in the game.

Maybe I'd have a scribe catalogue certain souls and if they stop by somewhere down the line, they'll be remembered and welcomed once more.

Right? So many interesting possibilities that we have no idea how to reach!

Posted By Sylvae at 1:51 PM - Sun Mar 22 2020

That's a really cool idea and goal, TheCheshireDragon. Good luck and I hope to see you achieve enlightenment!

Thank ye kindly!

3/22/2020 7:27:47 PM #6

If it ever comes to fruition, let me know. I'd like to bring it to my Duchy.

~ ~ Xertez ~ Arch Duke of Fortuna ~ Rosemarsh/Blacklily/Whiteblight ~ ~ ~ Luna (NA-E) Server ~

3/22/2020 7:31:50 PM #7

I'm not sure whatever form "enlightenment" takes can be taught. Especially if I have to groom a single soul for lifetimes to attain it.

But I'd be more than happy to share whatever I can teach from the experience.

3/22/2020 9:08:02 PM #8

So many mysteries.

Lich and Vampire are just two options that have been hinted at. No telling how to become one.

There are likely more such beings we can become. I'd be delighted if I discovered the method of becoming something more than Mann.

Perhaps my method of playing by grooming a single soul will bare fruit in discovering more about Elyria. Perhaps it won't. Can't say until somebody tries, so might as well be me! ^-^